Nobody really ‘wants’ hearing aids. But if you’re experiencing hearing loss, they really can be a life saver. So, if you’re looking for hearing aids Walsenberg, Colorado, you’ve come to the right place! The post below explains everything you need to know about finding, choosing and living with hearing aids. Read on to find out more!
How Do Hearing Aids Work?
Hearing aids work by amplifying noise. Every hearing aid, no matter what brand or what kind, has three basic components:
- A microphone, which picks up noise around you
- An amplifier, which makes the noises louder
- A speaker, which produces the noise you can hear
What sets modern hearing aids apart is that the amplifier is a little more complex than it used to be. A basic hearing aid just makes noises louder. But a modern, electronic one can actually pick and choose which sounds to amplify. Let’s say that your hearing loss is particularly bad with low-pitched sounds. You can set up the amplifier to pick up on all noise (of course) but only amplify the low-pitched ones.
The reason why this is important is so that what you hear is balanced. If you can’t hear low pitched noises, but can hear high pitched noises fine, then by amplifying all sound you’ll be stuck with uncomfortably loud high pitched sounds. Your audiologist can set up your hearing aid to amplify whichever noises you struggle to hear, be they low or high pitched.
Why Might I Need Hearing Aids?
Hearing loss is a natural result of aging. Hearing really is remarkable; we can hear because tiny hairs in our ears vibrate, and our brains interpret these signals. These hairs are exceptionally small and fragile, so that they can pick up on sound waves.
Crucially, though, once these hairs break they can’t just grow back. They can either snap or essentially be torn out because of excessively loud noise. The fewer of these hairs you have, the less sensitive your hearing is. This happens in response to loud noise, either sudden or constant, or simply because of the aging process. Once hearing loss gets to a certain point, the need for them is obvious. You need them because you struggle to hear!
Where Can You Get Hearing Aids Walsenberg, Colorado?
You can choose to buy hearing aids online, or at a dedicated hearing aid center. There are pros and cons for each approach, although we firmly believe that you’ll be better off seeing experts like ourselves! Here’s why:
- Your audiologist can help you identify what kind of hearing loss you have, i.e. low or high frequency. They can then tailor your hearing aid to your precise needs.
- Through a hearing aid center, you have access to the latest and best rated hearing aids on the market. People leave reviews for hearing aids on online marketplaces, but for reviews you can trust, ask an audiologist.
- Your audiologist can give you advice on how to use hearing aids, how to clean them, and how to take care of your ears.
Buying hearing aids online can be cheaper, because you don’t get additional services and advice. But it’s this service that makes the process so much more useful for you!
What Kind of Hearing Aids Are Available?
There are a number of different kinds of hearing aids available at your local hearing aid center. Some are more expensive than others, and some look a little nicer than others, but they all get the job done. You can buy:
- Behind-the-ear hearing aids. These are the old fashioned kind, which hook over the top of your ear. Only the earpiece actually fits inside your ear, while everything else is “behind the ear”.
- In-ear hearing aids. These hearing aids sit outside the ear canal itself, but don’t clip behind the ear. Some fit into the small bowl just outside the ear canal, sitting snugly. Others don’t fill the whole ‘bowl’, so are a little smaller.
- “In the canal” hearing aids. These hearing aids are similar to in-ear ones, except they’re entirely within the hearing canal. They’re custom molded to fit the shape of your ear, and are much less visible than other kinds.
- Invisible “in the canal” hearing aids. These are the smallest hearing aids you can buy. They fit entirely within the ear canal, but are so small that you can’t see them. So, if you don’t want people to know that you’ve got hearing aids, these are the ones for you.
- Open fit hearing aids. Open fit hearing aids keep the ear canal open. The point is to allow low frequency sounds to enter the ear, while the hearing aid amplifies high frequency sounds for you. These are perfect for mild hearing loss.
When you visit one of our hearing centers, your audiologist can explain the different kinds of hearing aid for you.
So, Looking For Hearing Aids Walsenberg, Colorado?
If you’re still looking for hearing aids, come to one of our hearing centers! We offer two: Sandia Hearing Aid Center in Colorado Springs, and King Hearing Center in Pueblo. Wherever’s best for you, the process is the same. Get the ball rolling by giving us a call or an email, so that we can book you an appointment.
When you arrive, you’ll be greeted by our friendly staff who will talk you further through how it works. If you’re comfortable, you can then go through an audiometry test to see how well your hearing is holding up! Your audiologist can then make recommendations on what kind of hearing aid you need. It’s as easy as that.
So, still looking for hearing aids Walsenberg, Colorado? Then give us a call today!